Friday, October 17, 2014

31 DAYS OF HORROR! - Day 17: What's your favourite 80s horror movie?

The last time I done this little challenge, I chose A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors who along with many regard it as the best sequel in the series. But after some thought I've decided to pick the original, the one that started it all. Simply because I think it has greater meaning and it's a genuinely scarier film.

The most striking element of A Nightmare on Elm Street is something I'm sure most of us never noticed at first, it's what the film represents through the character of Freddy Krueger; which is in large part neglect and abuse suffered by children as well as subconscious fears which is further explored in the sequel, Freddy's Revenge. Also I think Freddy symbolised the resentment the older generation has towards the younger generation as Freddy's intense personal dislike for his victims is very evident as he takes enormous pleasure in throwing their lingo and culture back in their face through horrific acts of violence. It's those undercurrent and subtleties that make A Nightmare on Elm Street my favourite horror movie of the 80s.


No comments:

Post a Comment