Monday, September 30, 2013

Twitter Film Reviews (September 2013)

I started a new job late last month. It's 60 hours a week which includes Saturdays so my movie watching time has been significantly reduced. I can't remember the last time I watch so little movies inside of a month. But I managed to see some quality flicks, all first time viewings expect for Nosferatu. I became an official member at the local film society which was great. We watched My Sister's Sister which was met with a generally positive reaction despite the majority of members being senior citizens but it was good viewing experience which made for some equally good discussion afterwards. 

Enjoy my reading my reviews, you're probably already done but hopefully you I've enticed you to go out and see one or two.

YOU SISTER'S SISTER (2011) Pretty impressive for a film with basically no script. Great acting, clever plot, you'll laugh and cry. 3.5/5 [September 5th]

SUSPIRIA (1977) I love it for the radical visual style. Some of the creepiest set design I've ever seen. It's a very dream like film. 3.5/5 [September 15th]

NOSFERATU (1922) Max Schreck is the one true vampire. Not scary but it has atmosphere. It's influence on horror is undeniable. 3.5/5 [September 21st]

THE MOLE PEOPLE (1956) Suspension of disbelief is vital. It's so ridiculous but I totally ate it up; a very enjoyable 50s B movie. 3.5/5 [September 21st]

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN (1957) An amazing, exciting and intelligent adventure that pack some raw emotion. I'm very impressed! 4.5/5 [September 21st]

THE IRON GIANT (1999) is a forgotten gem. It's a beautiful story of friendship set during the height of Cold War paranoia. 4.5/5 #IronGiant [September 27th]

CLOCKERS (1995) is a gritty hard hitting story of street life. It's about loyalty, choices and the consequences that follow. 3.5/5 [September 28th]

THE MONOLITH MONSTERS (1957) Despite its high concept the plot almost seems plausible. It's a fun monster movie without monsters. 4/5 [September 28th]

TARANTULA (1955) is not Jack Arnold's best work. It's mildly enjoyable and doesn't really take off until the last 20 minutes. 3/5 [September 28th]


Top Five Picks
1. The Iron Giant (1999)
2. The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
3. Your Sister's Sister (2011)
4. The Monolith Monsters (1957)
5. Suspiria (1977)

If you wish to follow me on Twitter you'll find me @DrHasslein

No comments:

Post a Comment