Saturday, October 11, 2014

31 DAYS OF HORROR! - Day 11: What is your favourite horror comedy?

Alright I just want state for the record that 'American Werewolf in London' is my favourite horror/comedy but I really must talk about a recent favourite that I hope one day will be regarded as one of the best, up there with John Landis' classic. 

I watched Cockneys vs Zombies earlier this year on a whim, expecting not all that much except for something with the same style and humour as the very popular Shaun of the Dead, however I was pleasantly surprised when this 'zom-com' managed to greatly exceed my expectation. The film follows two brothers who have plotted to rob a bank and use the takings to save a local retirement home from being demolished be greedy developers where their grandfather lives. Whilst doing so, a sudden zombie outbreak occurs and soon all of London finds itself infested by the undead.

Usually comedies with titles this ridiculous aren't funny. But this one is, it's really funny and more importantly, consistently funny. I laughed out loud a number of times which I rarely do when I'm watching a film by myself. What holds this film together is the writing; it's very well written, it's incredibly witty and the colourful and classic cockney lingo/slang isn't over used.

It's also a real treat for zombies fans, many of the cliché's are presents along with the excessive blood and gore; some of which looks a bit dodgy and very digital at times but it's not really a point of distraction in comparison to the rest of the film. I'm sure when first hearing about the film, many people straight away would be thinking "Will it be as good as Shaun of the Dead?" I'll think it's just as funny, but not once did I feel the need to compare the two. It's very much its own film. Performances are generally good all around, from a good mix of young and old actors. The grandfather played by Alan Ford steals it in my opinion.

Cockneys vs Zombies also echoes that very iconic and inspiring English perseverance and the strength to overcome the odds, relating especially to its resistance to Nazi Germany in World War II. Overall it's a hilarious mash-up of two genres that fans will doubt adore.


1 comment:

  1. I think Scream has elements of comedy and wit that I love. One of my faves.

    ReplyDelete