Friday, October 10, 2014

31 DAYS OF HORROR! - Day 10: What's a horror movie that everyone love but you hate?

I can feel my blood boiling as I write this. The one occasion in a long  time when satisfying my cinematic curiosity well and truly backfired. 'American Mary' which was clearly filmed in Canada is from the depraved minds of the oh so annoying Jen Soska and Sylvia Soska, a.k.a. The Twisted Sisters. It tells of a medical student named Mary who enters the world of underground surgeries to earn some easy money to ease her student debts. But what begins as minor surgeries transitions into body modification, her apparent skills earning her a reputation amongst the many freakish clients who soon come knocking.  

This is why I'm so fed up with the whole blood and gore obsessed side of horror. There's just nothing there but shock value and it's getting more and more ridiculous. For example there's a scene that involves swapping arms with another person like they were socks. I've seen Looney Tune cartoons that pay closer attention to detail than that. The first half of the film is okay, there is a degree of fascination with the subject matter and I did feel a little sorry for Mary due to her dire circumstances, but by the second half the level of absurdity and Mary's moral corruptness combined with the lack of substance and plot cause the film to take a massive nose dive to the point that it becomes insulting to the viewer. I do understand the films film's popularity as it sadly does caters to a much loved horror sub-genre but it's not for me.  


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I couldn't get through this one myself (so bad). And I am getting tired of the whole shock value thing that is so prevalent in modern horror. cabin in the woods is a movie everyone seems to like but i think is awful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I thought I was the only one who hated Cabin in the Woods haha. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete