Sunday, October 12, 2014

31 DAYS OF HORROR! - Day 12: What is the most disturbing horror film you've seen?

As a twelve year old Event Horizon induced a sense for fear into me so great that I haven't felt the like of it since. It was a Monday night and my Mum was working late so it was just my Dad, myself and a nice new release VHS of Event Horizon from out local video store. I wasn't expecting much at all to be honest, just a simple space adventure with perhaps some alien encounters. But as I began to settle into the film a very foreboding feeling swept over me that I just couldn't put my finger on. Following the characters through this seemingly empty space craft with an interior that was striking similar to a Gothic cathedral was so striking that it's appearance almost instantly enticed fear upon it's unveiling. Then came the kicker, 15 seconds of the most violent and horrific acts I've ever seen in a movie, an orgy of blood and carnage! But what was worse is that it was disturbingly similar to a fever dream I suffered with for years. I spent the rest of the film doing a pretty good job of keeping my composure in front of my Dad who I could not believe was almost falling asleep. Anyway, I went to bed that night not feeling the best but I never expressed how I felt about what I just watched. I've seen Event Horizon numerous times since, the second time seeing it was difficult but I needed to it and even to this day it still has an effect on me.

It's not a perfect film by any means but I find it a very fascinating one, think of it as Hellraiser meets Alien. The art design as wells as the concept would be by far it's best qualities. Event Horizon asked the question of what's out there beyond the boundaries of our solar system and what we know as scientific reality, exploring the darkest and most horrifying of scenarios.



No comments:

Post a Comment