Monday, April 6, 2015

My Netflix Picks #2

I know, I'm a day late. Easter snuck up on me as I'm sure it did for a lot of you. Plus we had to turn our clocks back an hour here in Australia. The Netflix library down under is slowing growing as expected. I would have had more picks for you all but my viewing time was monopolised by an addictive TV series. I hope you all had a great Easter and that you enjoy my picks!      

Hiroshima: BBC History of World War II
Director: Paul Wilmshurst
Year: 2005  
Category: Documentaries
Rating: ★★★★ Really Liked It

The dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima remains one of the most debated and controversial decisions in the history of warfare. This brilliantly presented and in-depth documentary recounts in detail, the build up to the event itself and the devastating aftermath that followed. The calculated move to force Japan's surrender and to more importantly avoid even greater loss of life on both sides continues to leave an impact to this day.   

American Horror Story Asylum
Creator: Brad FalchukRyan Murphy
Year: 2012
Category: TV Shows
Rating: ★★★★ Really Liked It
Watching the first season of "American Horror Story" back in 2011 didn't leave me wanting more. However Netflix quickly managed to stir up my curiosity toward this much loved horror anthology series once again. My girlfriend and I spent a good week watching season 2 which we both equally enjoyed. The most unique element about this literally mental season is that it places the supernatural realms of science-fiction and horror into the same universe. This is a show that's very easy to watch as it clearly caters to audiences with short attention spans, which actually add's to its chaotic tone. Amongst the main players, Jessica Lang, Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters give strongest performances.   
    
Life Partners
Director: Susanna Fogel
Year: 2014
Category: Comedy/Romance
Rating: ★★★ Liked It

Sasha (Leighton Meester) and Paige (Gillian Jacobs) are the very best of best friends but their co-dependent friendship is put to the test as Paige embarks on a serious relationship with a guy for the first time. At first glance you could easily make the mistake of branding this one as just another chick flick, but it's actually not. This sweet and very colourful little comedy appeals far beyond it's target audience and realistically shows the frustration and anxieties we feel when the lives of those close to us suddenly move into new territory, leaving us to ponder our own ambitions with uncertainty. Give it a watch, you'll be surprisingly impressed. 

You can follow me on Twitter @cinematic_rand
or
'like' my Facebook page cinematic randomness where you can see all my cinematic exploits.

No comments:

Post a Comment